Chen Palmer has a team of public lawyers specialising in education policy, funding and legal frameworks ranging from universities to kohanga reo.
- Tertiary Education Organisations - We have acted for all types of tertiary education organisations including private training establishments, industry training organisations, wananga, universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics.
- Early Childhood Centres – Chen Palmer has acted for ECEs in relation to Education Review Office reports; internal policy development; and matters relating to the early childhood education curriculum, Te Whariki.
- Discipline in schools - Chen Palmer can assist private clients, schools and boards of trustees in respect of learner suspensions, expulsions and fair processes; the implications of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child; and the implications of the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990.
- Working with New Zealand Qualifications Authority – Some of the NZQA processes that Chen Palmer can assist clients with include External Evaluation and Review processes and the Targeted Review of Qualification.
- Working with Immigration New Zealand - Chen Palmer can assist export education providers regarding student visa processing issues and maintaining compliance with other Immigration New Zealand requirements.
- Working with the Tertiary Education Commission – Chen Palmer has experience in providing clients with assistance on many aspects of TEC’s work, including Investment Plans, mergers, and education performance indicators.
- Working with Maori and Pasifika – Chen Palmer has worked for many Maori education organisations including wananga, kohanga reo and kura kaupapa. We also specialise in providing advice on Pasifika education issues.
- Working with other education sectors – Chen Palmer can assist clients across the education spectrum including: secondary-tertiary transitions; Youth Guarantee; National Standards; Export Education and Immigration New Zealand; governance appointments on Tertiary Education Institution boards; boards of trustees; Quality Management System development; internal policy development.
- Organisation structures – Chen Palmer’s education and employment teams can provide cost effective advice on improving organisational structures for tertiary organisations.
Some of the previous work of the Chen Palmer Education Team includes:
- Successfully challenging the outcomes of quality assurance reports undertaken by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and the Education Review Office (ERO).
- Successfully bringing a judicial review in the High Court on behalf of Salisbury School regarding the decision of the Minister of Education to merge the school.
- Successfully appearing for te Kohanga Reo in Waitangi Tribunal proceedings regarding the Crown's inequitable treatment of kohanga reo.
- Advising tertiary education organisations on mergers including Auckland Insitute of Technology becoming AUT University; Wellington Polytechnic merging with Massey University; and Dunedin College of Education merging with the University of Otago.
- Representing successful claimants in Waitangi Tribunal proceedings concerning the Crown's intervention at Te Wananga o Aotearoa.
- Appearing for Unitec in the High Court and Court of Appeal regarding their bid to become a university.
- Advising on the Office of the Auditor-General inquiry into Te Wananga o Aotearoa.
Chen Palmer is a member of the Australia New Zealand Education Law Association.