Chen Palmer’s Maori Law and Te Tiriti o Waitangi/Treaty of Waitangi legal specialists can provide expert advice on historic Treaty settlement negotiations, including advice on negotiating the terms of an Agreement in Principle and a Deed of Settlement.
Chen Palmer provides specialist advice to Māori organisations on:
- Iwi & Hapū Governance, including advising on Post Settlement Governance Entities during settlement negotiations and, following settlement, advice on best-practice governance and other issues of corporate and iwi entity structuring.
- Treaty Negotiations: specialist advice on historic Treaty settlement negotiations, including advice on negotiating the terms of an Agreement in Principle and a Deed of Settlement.
- Natural Resources Law: advice on all aspects of resource management and natural resources law, including co-governance agreements, water and geothermal issues, fisheries, forestry, petroleum and minerals, and other natural resources regulation.
- Contemporary Treaty Claims: advice on contemporary Treaty claim issues and representation for these claims in the Waitangi Tribunal, the High Court and the higher Courts.
- Marine and Coastal Area Act: the team can also advise on applications for protected customary rights and customary marine title orders or agreements under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.
- Strategic Public Law and Policy Advice: advice on interacting with central and local government in the post-settlement era concerning all contemporary Māori-Crown Treaty issues, regulatory frameworks, and policy development generally.
- Law Reform and Parliamentary Relations: advice on law reform; parliamentary process; making submissions; and working with Ministers, Government departments, Crown entities and local authorities.
- Treaty and International Law: advice on the status of the Treaty and obligations under international law, the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Our previous work includes:
- Decision on application for an urgent hearing, (2019) (Waitangi Tribunal).
- Decision on application for an urgent hearing, (2018) (Waitangi Tribunal).
- The Kōhanga Reo claim filed by the Te Kōhanga Reo National Trust, (2012) (Waitangi Tribunal).
- The Aotearoa Claim concerning Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, (2005) (Waitangi Tribunal).
- He Maunga Rongo: Report on the Central North Island Claims ( 2008) (Waitangi Tribunal).
- The Wai 45 (Muriwhenua) record of inquiry.
Mai Chen: Mai.Chen@chenpalmer.com
Caleb Saunders: Caleb.Saunders@chenpalmer.com
Anthony Hill: Anthony.Hill@chenpalmer.com